Monday, October 17, 2016

An unlikely conversation

Family member name: Mattie Ellis Pearson
Relation: My great grandma
Detail: My dad's dad's mom

For many years I wondered where she got her name.  Many children are named after a parent or grandparent. But I could not find an Ellis in the family tree.  Then I found Mattie's father's grave (Greenfield Pearson).  He is buried with his first wife.  Wow! Didn't know he was married before. She died young. Her name was Martha Ellis.  hmmmm

Here are a few completely fictional possible conversations between Mattie's dad Greenfield and her pregnant mom Myra.

Scenario A

Myra:  What should we name our baby if it's a girl?

Greenfield:  I think we should name her Mattie Ellis.

Myra: Wow, that's pretty, but really random.  Where did you come up with that?

Greenfield:  ummm, I don't know.  Just came to me.

Myra:  Well, I was thinking about naming her after my mother or grandmother, but, ok honey, Mattie Ellis it is.  And dear... I love you.

Scenario B

Myra:  What should we name our baby if it's a girl?

Greenfield:  I think we should name her Mattie Ellis.

Myra:  Wow, after your previous wife?  Umm, I don't think that's a good idea.

Greenfield:  Well, her parents made me promise to name a child after her if I ever had a daughter.  And she died young.  Shouldn't we remember her in this way?  Can you please help me keep my promise?  You never knew her anyway.

Myra:  Ok, Mattie Ellis it is.  (Thinks to self... we're probably going to have a boy anyway.)


Scenario C

Myra:  What should we name our baby if it's a girl?

Greenfield:  I think we should name her Miriam, after my mom.

Myra: I think we should name her Mattie Ellis.

Greenfield:  After my previous wife?  Umm, I don't think that's a good idea.

Myra: She wasn't just your previous wife, she was a good friend of mine.  She was lovely person who died young.  We should honor her in this way.

Greenfield: Ok, Mattie Ellis it is. (Thinks to self... we're probably going to have a boy anyway.)

Which scenario do you think it was?  To answer, please leave a comment below, or provide your own scenario - please!

Here is Mattie with her father Greenfield.








No comments:

Post a Comment