Wednesday, November 29, 2017

I've always wanted an Opa

We all have 16 great-great-grandparents.  Two of mine were born in Germany, and one was born in the US of German parents.  Three out of 16 great-great grandparents means I'm 3/16 German.  Wunderbar!!

I randomly Googled the following ancestor and had a surprise.


Family member name: Ernst Friedrich Ferdinand Goesch

Tree branch: Goesch
Relation: My 2x great grandpa.  My mom's mom's mom's dad.

Turns out there is another crazy person out there (probably a lot of them) who blog about their ancestry.  They had an entire post about Grandpa Ernst!  In fact Ernst was his great grandfather, but through Ernst's first wife Amelia.  Ernst is my 2x great grandpa through his second wife, Bertha.
Ernst was born September 8, 1848 in Grammentin, Pommern, Prussia which today is known as Mecklenburg – Vorpommern, Germany.  On March 17, 1869, at the age of 20, Ernst sailed from Hamburg, Germany on the ship Saxonia bound for New York.


They moved between Chicago, Minnesota and finally Nebraska, where generations of Goesch family members were born and still live.  Ernst had 6 children with Amelia then another six with Bertha.  The 12th child was my great-grandmother Martha.


The German word for grandfather is Opa.  Here's my great-great Opa.




And this is Ernst and Bertha's home in 1915 in Lincoln, Nebraska.



No comments:

Post a Comment