Wednesday, August 21, 2019

One town. Two namesakes.

I had the privilege to visit the town of Standish,  Maine.  I wanted to go there because it was named after my 10x great-grandfather, Myles Standish.  What I didn't realize is that before it was named Standish, it was named for another one of my family members.

Family member name: Myles Standish
Tree branch: Smith
Lifetime: 1584-1656
Relation: My 10x great-grandfather (my dad's mom's dad's mom's mom's mom's mom's mom's dad's mom's dad's dad)


At  the Maine Historical Society in Portland, I was doing research on the Pearson branch of my family tree who lived in Maine.  A cousin of my 5x great grandfather, William Pearson, was Moses Pearson.  

Moses Pearson was a company commander in the first battle of Louisbourg, in King George's War, in Canada.  Upon his return, he petitioned the State of Massachusetts (because Maine was not a state yet) for a land grant for himself and his company.  One hundred twenty land grants were issued to him and another company commander named Humphrey Hobbs.

The land grants became a community, and here is how this little town's name evolved over 35 years.

1750 - Pearson Hobbs Town
1759 - Pearsontown
1785 - Standish

Hobbs died shortly after the land grants were awarded and Pearson never did end up living in Pearsontown.  So the residents renamed the town after a famous American, Myles Standish, of Mayflower fame.  It's pretty cool that this cute little town was named after two of my ancestors, Pearson and Standish.

More info: Town of Standish website


At the Standish Historical Society.  Standish, Maine, 2016.


Doing family tree research at the Maine Historical Society.  Portland, Maine, 2016.


No comments:

Post a Comment