Thursday, April 11, 2019

The paper trail of Alfred Sullivan

My mom never met her maternal grandfather.  When she was a child, she was told he had already passed away.  She didn't learn the truth until later.

Family member name: Alfred Vernon Sullivan
Tree branch: Sullivan
Lifetime: 1897-1960
Relation: My great grandfather (my mom's mom's dad)


Later, she learned that he had abandoned his young family and was never seen again.  That's all I knew growing up, and I believe that's all my mom knew too.

When I began my family tree research, the paper trail told the truth about what happened to Alfred V. Sullivan.  He, in fact, was still living when my mom was young.

After marrying Martha Goesch around 1919/1920, they had three children in eight years.  However, by 1930, their family was in shambles because of him.  Martha had contracted syphilis from Alfred and was put in an institution.  Instead of caring for his children, Alfred abandoned them.  On the brink of the Great Depression, the three young kids were split up and sent to live with aunts and uncles who loved them.

Sullivan family circa 1924. Alfred, Betty (my grandma), Martha and Lois.

Where did Alfred go?

His whereabouts are a mystery for 12 years. He disappeared.  He does not show up in records until 1942.

1928 - His youngest child born in Nebraska
1930 - Has already abandoned the family
1942 - Working for the WPA in Sheldon, Texas
1948 - Alfred is listed in his mother's obituary as living in San Francisco.
1960 - Death record, San Francisco.

Was Alfred aware that he had four grandchildren? His grandchildren were not aware that they had a living grandfather.  My mom was 12 years old when he actually died.

Why was mom told he was dead? Did they know Alfred would never be a part of their lives?  Did they even want him in their lives? He was definitely the black sheep. But I wonder what is worse?  Should you tell a child their grandfather died or should you tell a child he abandoned her mom and perhaps she may keep wondering if he would ever come back?  I just don't know.


No comments:

Post a Comment