Monday, April 1, 2019

Don't touch the headstone

Yes, I love hunting through cemeteries for my relatives. (Shout out to my husband and mom who come with me and are amazing finders of headstones, which can be needles in haystacks.) Yes, I seek dead people.

This is a quick post with a helpful trick I have found for documenting headstones.

Gravestone rubbings are so 20th century. Some people consider this not only a way of preserving the information on a headstone, but of preserving the art of the actual headstone.  This was ok when every human didn't have a camera in their back pocket  Also, unfortunately, rubbing the stone may cause more deterioration.  Please let it be.

But there are drawbacks when using a camera to document the wording on a headstone.  Moss, weathering and bad lighting are not your friends.  For example, I took this picture of my 8th great grandmother's headstone that has been in Woodstock, CT for over 260 years.



Can read the words? Are you sure??  Argh! After traveling for hours, the last thing you want is for your pictures to be unclear.  So here's my trick.

1. Take the best picture you can.
2. Then take a video of the same headstone and of your voice while reading the words out loud.

Simple but effective. Watch this clip.




Then when I get home and I want to document the dates and wording, I'm not second guessing myself. So, just for the record:

"In memory of Mrs. Hannah Peake, ye wife of Mr. Jonathan Peake, Dec'd October 16, 1756, in ye 90th year of her age."

Family member name: Hannah Leavens Peake
Tree branch: Pearson
Lifetime: 1666-1756
Relation: My 8x great grandmother (my dad's dad's mom's mom's mom's mom's dad's dad's mom's mom)


No comments:

Post a Comment